Working with Social Service

Advocating for services to support the care of your chronically ill child may require that you work with local, state or federally-funded social service agencies.

If a child’s condition or disability is deemed serious or unstable in nature, he or she may be eligible for care under a home care waiver program. Waiver programs are considered a positive alternative for care in an institution. There are several different types of waiver programs depending on the specific needs of the chronically ill child.

For your state, contact the agency or agencies that offer home care waiver programs. In Ohio, where we live, there are two agencies that offer waiver home care programs. They are Ohio Jobs and Family Services (OJFS) and the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD).

There are many factors that determine a person’s eligibility for a waiver, such as the type and extent of the disability, the prognosis and their financial assets. Each waiver provides different types of services. Visit the Resources page for a list of agencies and organizations.